From Student Handbook
DRESS AND GROOMING
7 - 12 DRESS CODE
DRESS AND GROOMING
From Board Policy #5132
The Parents/guardians of the Ceres Unified School District are charged with the responsibility of
dressing their children in a neat and clean manner. In addition, under normal circumstances, no student will be sent to school wearing any kind of clothing, costume, and/or hair style which will
tend to interrupt, disturb, or interfere with the normal educational program being carried on,
either on the campus or in the classroom, or negatively affect the health and safety of individuals.
The students must dress in such manner that will conform to good taste. Explicit or implied
profanities and/or obscenities will not be acceptable. Any items of clothing, jewelry, footgear, or
headgear which would be injurious or potentially disruptive to the normal educational program
or to any person or school district property are prohibited.
(cf. 6136 Gangs)
These guidelines numbered 1-11 shall be in effect at all school-related activities except where
modified by the site administrator for specific extracurricular activities or specific cases.
1. All clothing, including jackets, shoes and head coverings that may be determined to be
gang related are not allowed.
2. Accessories, such as jewelry, belts, bandannas, purses, and sunglasses which have logos,
insignias, color, or writings depicting gang related activities are not allowed.
3. Attire and hairstyles worn or altered in such a way as to identify students with gangs are
not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to: sagging/baggy pants, shorts with knee-high
socks, hanging belts, canvas belts (military style), or gang related initials on belt buckles.
4 Pants must fit and be worn at the waist and not be more than one size too large or one
size too small. If belts are worn, they must not be more than one size too large.
5. Attire which is sexually suggestive, extremely brief or is worn in a way to expose
undergarments is not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to: low-cut garments, strapless or
off the shoulder tops, straps less than two inches in width, bare midriffs, racer-back tops or
muscle shirts, undershirts, shorts which are shorter than mid-thigh or fingertip length, and skirts
shorter than fingertip length.
6. Attire that advocates, advertises or symbolizes any type of alcohol, drugs, tobacco,
gambling, weapons or acts which are illegal, violent, obscene, or hazardous to one’s health is not
7. Shoes must be worn at all times. Socks or sock-like footwear and slippers are not safe or
appropriate for school. No flip flops allowed.
8. Clothing, jewelry, and other accessories which present a safety hazard to the wearer or
others are not allowed.
9. Facial makeup must not be disruptive or distracting to the educational process.
10. No caps, hats, or head coverings may be worn at school except those that are Districtapproved.
Exceptions may be made for hoodies and beanies worn outdoors during Winter
11. Sunglasses may not be worn in school buildings.
Exhibit CERES UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
Version: June 28, 2006 Ceres, California
Dress Code Violation (E.C. 48900[k])
First Offense - Warning, possible parent contact, change attire
Second Offense – 30 minute Detention, parent contacted, change attire, possible 1-3 day suspension.
Third Offense – 1 hour detention parent contacted, change attire, possible 1-3 day suspension.